verum planto vos solvo

Memorial Day 2011




I hesitate to tell this story because it might sound as though I'm attempting to flatter myself. But as you plow forward, you'll see that's not what this is about. A while back, my wife & I were having dinner at a local restaurant when we noticed a solitary uniformed soldier having dinner as well. As he was nearing the end of his meal, I called our waitress over and told her that I wanted to pay for his dinner. I was about halfway through explaining this when she smiled and nodded her head. She must have been through this before. Judging by what I saw him eat, I showed the waitress an amount of money, asked her if it would be enough, including a tip. She assured me it was more then enough. I asked her not to tell him who had paid for the meal but simply to say that it had been taken care of. Michele and I left before he was ever told the meal was paid for, which is exactly as I wanted it. The absolute last thing I wanted was for him to come over to our table and thank me. This was about thanking him - even with so small a gesture.




I have a soft spot for military personnel. I have never been asked to pick up a weapon, stand a post and defend it at any cost. Yet there are those who do exactly that. And they do it voluntarily without great fanfare and compensation. As I write this, there are American soldiers and Marines baking in the 110 degree heat of Afghanistan and Iraq. It matters not if you personally believe we belong in those theaters. It matters that there are those who will answer such a call. I don't know where America finds such men and women but there seems to be no shortage of them and I thank God for that. A few years ago, I saw an Army Lieutenant in Afghanistan being interviewed by an ABC News reporter. The reported noted that the Lieutenant graduated from Princeton University and could easily be living a more profitable and comfortable existence outside of the military. She asked him why was he in the military at all? His response was simple. He answered; "There will be time for that later. Right now, I'm here because I want to serve my country". That remark made the reporter look like a total doof. She couldn't imagine someone who would sacrifice their money making ability and personal safety like that. Thankfully, the Lieutenant had no problem with his decision. Where I come from, we call men like that "heroes".


Throughout our nation's history, we have been endowed by individuals who realize they are part of something bigger than themselves. The US military cemeterys around the world are a testement to this. In todays world, it's easy to become distracted by people and things of little or no consequence. We are saddened when a Hollywood icon dies - as though they were part of our family. But we can't remember many or any of our fallen American heroes. The most recent is Army Spc. Brandon M. Kirton, 25 of Centennial, Colorado. He was a member of the 101st Airborne and killed by insurgents in Afghanistan. I don't know much about him. He may have been married with a child - or he may have been single. Republican or Democrat? I have no idea. Straight or Gay - I don't care. All I know is that he was prepared to give the ultimate sacrifice if called upon. And sadly, that's the way it played out for Brandon. There are no words I can think of that would sufficiently comfort a Mother like Brandon's. But I think of the words of Abraham Lincoln in a letter he sent to a mother who lost 5 sons in the Civil War. In part he wrote:

"I feel how weak and fruitless any word of mine which should attempt to beguille you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your berevement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom."

A. Lincoln, 1864

Mrs. Kirton has herself laid that "costly sacrifice" upon the altar of freedom as well, but she is not alone. As in the past, many a good man and woman has paid the ultimate price. This coming weekend many of us will attend picnics and backyard gatherings. We'll enjoy the food and the company. We'll enjoy the long holiday weekend. And sadly, little of our time will actually involve making a conscious effort to thank those who over the past 235 years have died to keep us free. No one is asking you to pick up a weapon and storm a beach. You're not required to spend the night huddled up against a cold wall defending your position. Or kick open a door without knowing what's behind it. But we can honor those still here who serve by proudly flying our flag and making a simple donation to organizations who support our military. I choose to donate to Disabled American Veterans and the USO. You can do as you see fit. But I urge you to do something that honors our heroes that have fallen and remind our current service personnel that you have not forgotten their sacrifice. That's not a lot to ask between bites of your hotdog, is it? We truly are the land of the free, because of the brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment