verum planto vos solvo

An open letter to the NSA

Dear NSA,
  How are you? I am fine. But I guess you probably already knew that. After all, I learned that your organization has been collecting information on Americans phone calls, Internet searches, emails, photographs and social media entries. There are 310 million Americans nowadays, so that's got to consume a lot of your time. Keeping track of our phone calls and checking how many times someone types "Tea Party" on facebook must really be arduous. So to make your investigative lives a tad easier, I've decided to get you caught up about me.
  I am a conservative Republican. I love America, believe in the Constitution, personal responsibility, liberty and the sanctity of the 2nd Amendment. In other words - an enemy of the state. Googling my name will show that I write letters to my local newspaper in favor of conservative candidates, ideals and philosophies. I am Christian. I am white. I am male. I am straight. I don't dislike people who don't fall into those categories but I make no apologies for any of them either. Searching my emails will show that I mostly forward funny pictures with odd captions. But you probably already knew that. I have this blog and a facebook version of it. But you probably already knew that. And last week I made sarcastic remarks about the IRS on both. But you probably already knew that too. All my bills are current and I cut my lawn at least once a week. I fly the American flag from my home every day and send donations to the USO and DAV.
  I'm not a terrorist. I have never searched the web on how to make a pipe bomb. Although I just typed terrorist and how to make a pipe bomb - so I guess that probably showed up. Just for fun I'll type Tea Party Patriot and Constitution a lot next week so you have something to do. (I hear the IRS just hate those two phrases.) I don't advocate the violent overthrow of the current government, I prefer to change the regime through education and the ballot. But I will keep my arms in defense of my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic - just like the oath the President takes upon his swearing in.
I do not consent to this invasion. We are not accountable to you. You are accountable to us.
Perhaps you think gathering all this information on Americans helps keep us safe from terrorists. And there may be a need for some level of information gathering. But I also fear how such information can be used against us.  I fear my government as much as any terrorist. After all, a terrorist cell may be able to inflict bodily damage on any given day. But they can't violate my constitutional rights including the right to privacy - every single day.

The 4th Amendment
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

No comments:

Post a Comment